Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Temple Joys; ¡Somos Gringos!; e O Futebol dos Estados

 Palaves Family got their Visa and are moving to Utah!!
 District Picture
Temple with Virginia V

Hey peeps! So good to be talking with y'all again! Lots of interesting stuff happening in our area as we get ready for changes!

A sad occurrence this week: an Elder in our mission is going home really early due to depression and having talked about suicide, and we are taking care of him until changes when he goes home. It was a very sad occurrence, but I believe that all of my trials in the past few weeks served me really well in this tough situation; I have been able to sympathize with him, make him laugh, and sustain him through his burdens. Man, I really ache for that kid; loved him to death. But I feel such peace knowing that I have been able to affect his life in a positive way.

We were able to find a nuevo this week so far on a doorstep contact; her name is Mabel, and she is an inactive Evangelist who loves prayer and believes in miracles. We talked about miracles, God's love, the Restoration, and the Book of Mormon with her. Great to see the results as we applied what we learned in district meeting: teach immediately instead of asking to teach. Great things happen when you're always trying to learn.

After that, we were walking to a charla with a member, and we saw a bunch of boys playing football in the park. Not fútbol. AMERICAN FOOTBALL! It was touch, granted, but it was sick! They waved us over and invited us to play, and I played football again for 10 minutes, for the first time in almost 2 years! On defense, nobody even got close to getting past me; domination. On offense... well, let's just say that boots do not make good cleats in dirt. But we won anyways, and now we're going to invite them to English classes, because they speak really good!  And from there,... charlas.

We're also seeing an upsurge in the member's participation; 3 specific Melchizedek Priesthood holders (the bishop, the high priest leader, and the 1st counselor in the stake presidency) said that they are available and willing to go out and work with us!  We also have lunch or dinner every single day, and are truly seeing how the hand of the Lord is working in this ward. Got me super stoked for change 4 here!

We actually went to the temple today to accompany Virginia V. for her first time there! Man, I truly did miss the temple; I was able to be baptized and to baptize for the first time in over a year. I've said it before, but the peace that emanates inside the temple is indescribable. I truly enjoyed it. 

BIG NEWS: THE PALAVÉ FAMILY IS MOVING TO THE UNITED STATES! They got their permanent residencies after years of work, and they invited us over to dinner to spill the news. We had a suspicion that it was either that, or that the wife was once again pregnant. As soon as we entered the back patio and saw the big American flag, little 4-year-old Mateo yelled "¡Somos gringos!" (We are gringos!)  And there went the surprise.

Love you all so much! Remember to trust completely in the Lord, and "he will direct thy paths." :)

Con amor,
Élder Newman :)


Mom, haha that is quite the mattress adventure. Sounds a lot like our bed frame adventure a while back. Yet while we think of ways to carefully disassemble and reassemble it, y'all just push it off the balcony. So true, I've learned SO much more about the Book of Mormon in these past 2 years than I have in all my life. We are always learning.  Love ya Mom!

Wow Callie, you are super duper smart! Way to go on Lexia!  I know how you feel with dry skin; I had it all the time. I would not have lasted those 100 candies; I would've eaten them all. I love you!

Sarah, my favorite song... is probably Redeemer of Israel by Gentri. So powerful.  I remember NOVA! Congrats on graduation!  Love you so much, Bear!

Emma, I am so sorry for what happened with drill. Sometimes we take our knocks - I took a few over these past few weeks - but I want you to know that I am just as proud of you as I was before. You will be blessed for your great attitude and support. Best of luck in Region! Ah, mighty Valhalla! How I miss it! ¡Te quiero muchísimo! (I love you so much!)

Dad, haha, bringing the Ice back! Blast to the past! And super sick to see Upset City alive and well! I truly feel that, as a missionary, priesthood holder, and man, I have grown so much in this year and a half. Yet I feel that the best is still yet to come.  Love you Pap!


Mom’s Questions:
1. With transfers this week, do you know who is replacing Elder Manzanares? 

We will know tomorrow night in the dinner with the Eddys!

2. How much time do you spend with Elder Holland? What is he like? Do you get along well?

He is in the office quite a bit. He is very tranquilo, super humble, and just a great guy to be around. We get along perfectly. Love the kid! :)

3. Did you have the Oro Conference this week? How did it end up going? 

A week ago. This week, we had a special leadership conference with all the zone leaders, district leaders, and travelling sisters in the mission.

4. Are you feeling like you were able to manage your time and balance office and regular mission stuff better this week? 

Yes, for sure. Minus the situation with the elder going home early, we were able to get out and proselyte every night at 5 PM.

5. How were your visits with Nadia this week? 

We weren't able to visit with Nadia this week; she was trying to drop us, feeling scared to take a risk after all the things she's suffered. We invited her to keep listening to us and she said she'll think about it. We sent her 2 Nephi 2 to try to help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment