Monday, January 22, 2018

Divine Design; Semana Loca; e a Fome pelo Amor de Deus

 Books of Mormon and other mission supplies that we had to find a place for


Hey peoples! This was probably the most unique week of my mission; the most stress I've ever felt, the most tears I've ever shed, and the sweetest joy and peace as a result. Super early mornings, long days of office work, a flooded house, searching for the elect. Life is good as a missionary and office Elder!

This past Saturday, I had been feeling down about the lack of success in our area and the stress from the office and the mistakes I had made. However, that day, my wonderful father felt the inspiration to send me a "4's up" 4th quarter email that truly inspired me. My incredible companion set aside time to talk with me and see what was going on and how he could help. His words for me were truly prophetic. Then a FUTURE INVESTIGATOR told us to keep our heads up; that if today we were rejected by 8 and accepted by 2, and we kept persevering, then one day we we would be accepted by 8. All these three occurrences in ONE DAY. I knew then that this was no coincidence and that the Lord was speaking to me of His love and approval. Truly Divine Design, just like Elder Rasband spoke about in Conference.

Then yesterday, the payoff. We finally had a new investigator - one that I've met in person! She was a contact that Elder Suxo (ZL) and Elder Araújo had found on intercambios here on Monday while I was working with MI HIJO AMADO ELDER SOUZA! Yes, I had an intercambio with my son/zone leader, and it was absolutely awesome; we worked super well together, laughed a ton, relived great memories from El Pinar, and milked alfajors to end the day (of course).

But anyway, back to our new investigator! Her name is Nadia, and she has suffered just about everything from the human race: her father tried to violate her, her mother tried to kill her, her brothers are in prison, and her roommate is crazy and can't stand her. She says that she is sick of the human race and had ceased to believe in God for the hypocrisy of her parents who were highly religious. But she was 100% attentive in our charla - I believe for the hunger she has for peace and answers and the love of God - and she was happy and laughing quite a bit as we talked. She said that she would promise to read the BoM and come to church. A very powerful charla on the Restoration. SUPER POTENTIAL!

Virginia A. is becoming active again; she was able to overcome her dark moment of depression and see the hope in life, and she even has a reference for us that said in the moment that she would love to come over and charlar! We are seeing the desire to participate from the members, and that is truly exciting for me! I believe now that we've passed through the midnight and are seeing the sunrise! It reminds me of Elder Zwick's talk in GC about our eyes being opened. I had my eyes closed and believed that I could not find any new investigators and that we would need intercambios always if we were going to find people. Now they're open, like Elisha's servant with the chariots of fire.

Other than that, it was a crazy but satisfying week as we had to wake up at 3:30 to help a missionary go home (home early), buy and hand over return tickets for the Oro Conference, and other cosas aleatorias (random stuff). But a great week, and a fantastic setup for the week to come!

Con amor,
Elder Newman :)

WOW! Haha, back to school and everything that comes with it; homework en pila! So happy to see the love that Sarah and Callie have for each other; sisters coming together! Indeed, I felt that same confirmation during Pres. Nelson’s broadcast and the news conference; I know that he is indeed the prophet of our time. And I can't wait to try out "Asado!" Having cooked and eaten many asados, I think I'd be well qualified for the job. And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Love you so much, Mom!

Callie! How did you feel at the teacher's desk? Here with Valentine's Day, it's pretty much the same as in the States - there's chocolate and everything - but just on a smaller scale. Love you tons!

Bear! So glad you liked the Vegas Cup despite its ups and downs. And hey, way to be a big girl being on your own for a week! Some of the greatest people I know are from different beliefs; it sure is fun seeing us come together despite those differences. And trust me, I know all about crazy sports fans; I've had plenty yell their heads off at me too. Love ya!

I totally know where I got my flexibility, or lack thereof. Glad you had a blast with the Dad Dance. And I'm right there with you in exhaustion; this next week, we have to help out with a leadership conference (all the 24 zone leaders, 10 Hermana Viajentes, and 27 district leaders), cédulas, and getting ready for changes! (Yup, it's coming already) And thus is the grind! But seeing great things in our area, so all good in the hood. And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Love you tons, Pap!

Mom’s Questions:
1. Since you now are in the last quarter of your mission, is there something you want to do before you leave? 

I would like to visit either the "Dedos" in Maldonado or Chuy once again in terms of temporal stuff, but mainly I just want to finish stronger, bolder, and more like Christ than at any point in my mission. I heard this once from one of my old zone leaders which I've taken to heart: the way you work in your final change says everything about your entire mission.

2. What do the members think of the announcement of the new prophet and 1st presidency? 

Virginia A. has studied a lot about the members of the 1st Presidency and has been very interested and excited in the whole process. With the others, I'd have to tell you next week after church this week.

3. Last week you talked about using the members more. How did the ward members help you with the work this week? 

Even though some charlas with them and having them contact with us fell through due to conflicts this week, they are more and more

4. Have you heard of Six months to sexy? Hahaha. Is that a thing in your mission? 

Oh, it is real, and Elder Manzanares and I are both in full swing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment