Monday, January 8, 2018

Trial & Error; El Poder del Sacerdocio; e Dois Mil e Dez e Sete

 Elder Holland
 Elder Manzaneras
 New Years on the roof


FAM BAM! Happy New Year! ¡Feliz Año Nuevo! Feliz Ano Novo! Crazy to think 2017 is already over; I remember thinking last year on January 1st that one whole year in the mission field would last an eternity. But I couldn't have been farther from the truth; ¡ya fue! As great as the fireworks were on Christmas, they were even more nuts for New Year. Seriously, it was mind-blowing, and the camera didn't even come close to doing it justice.

Not going to lie, however; this first week of 2018 was a tad bit tough for us. Up til now this week, we have had no luck finding new investigators, and we have had trouble keeping up with some we do have. In the case of Diego, it's understandable - he's really weak right now from his whole week of chemotherapy last week - but it definitely tests your patience. Add on top of that that, after a leadership conference with the zone leaders and helping out the sisters (a few of them missed their bus home from leadership conference and had to buy new tickets because the tickets I bought for them were too early). Oh well, we learn by trial and error for sure, and we definitely become stronger that way. 

But there definitely were great blessings! Daniel has now learned all the commandments, met his ward leadership and missionaries in 18 de Mayo, and is on track to be baptized the 13th! Germán is reading the Book of Mormon on his own (still needs to pray) and absorbed Plan of Salvation! And we were able to visit the bishop and his family as well! (This has been attempted many times here but always fallen through for his super busy schedule) We read Alma 31:34-38 with them and asked the bishop for a priesthood blessing to help the work move along). He was so touched by that, and he gave us both powerful and inspired priesthood blessings; he addressed needs that I didn't even know I had! He has trusted in us before that moment, but we could see that increased trust after he dropped us off at home; wonderful man. Excited to see how the work hastens going forward!

I was impacted greatly by the passing of President Thomas S. Monson as I'm sure you all were. He was the 2nd prophet that I have had the pleasure to know and follow, and I have always been inspired by his words. I know that he was the chosen prophet of God and that every word he spake was God's word for us. I know that we are in good hands, the Lord's hands, and that the new prophet will be just as inspired.

Happy New Year y'all!

Con amor,
Élder Newman :)

Wow! What announcements! That is so crazy, everyone I know is getting married!  Holy cow, that arrangement of We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet by Brother Pierce was incredible; the most beautiful arrangement I've ever heard. Not even kidding. Love you so much. 

There sure is security in early retirement, huh? Looks like you didn't repeat the same mistake in wrestling that you made with me and arm wrestling. Haha crazy how the time flies for sure! That banquet picture sure gives me nostalgia. Haha, meetings on top of meetings; the office life sure has its aportes (contributions) and challenges. Learning that first hand. Glad to hear the youth are still going strong.  Love you Pap!

Emmrist! Oh my, your date story made me cringe so much. I'm sorry it turned out that bad, but hey! Memories to laugh about, right? Oh my, tell Brother Fossum hi for me! LOVE that guy! I'm excited to see how State goes as well! So proud of everything you do, keep it up! ¡Guardá la fe y amá al Señor! ¡Te quiero! (Guard the faith and love the Lord! I love you!

Bear! Haha I remembered our straight-face games in the car and how I always WON! Haha but seriously, that procession sounds like it was a lotta fun. Lemme know how your games go! How is your scripture study going? Love you Bear!

Wow Callie! You are so flexible and I never even knew it! Way to go with the piano lessons; keep it up and never give up! You'll be so happy you did them! Look at that, I didn't know that Mom's going back to college! I love you! Xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Mom’s Questions:
1. What was the reaction by the members in Uruguay to the passing of President Monson? 

They were heartbroken for sure. The bishop has asked us to do a rendition of "We Ever Pray for Thee" in sacrament meeting.

2. What did you do for New Years? 

Same thing as last week minus the pineapples; we had another great asado dinner with the Palavé family, and watched fireworks on the roof together.

3. Were you able to get in to do charlas with Sebastian and Maria? How about German? Still progressing toward his baptism date? 

With Sebastian, not yet; he has a very busy work schedule. We have a charla with Maria today. And we had one with Germán on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment