Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Members are Awesome; ¡Viva Chile!; e O Que São os Setenta?



Hey gang! So transfers are in, and I will be staying in Las Piedras! Most likely, I will end my mission here, and I couldn't be much happier, for the work here is really cooking along!

An absolutely fantastic week as we have been trying to get more involved with the members, and it has paid off! We've done service pruning a tree for one sister - boy, THAT was fun - and we have received many referrals from the members that we are trying to catch up on contacting! One was from a 16 year old young woman who brought her friend Santiago to her house to listen to us. He is an English fanatic with a REALLY good accent, and he asked her out of nowhere if she was a Mormon and what our church was all about! So she set up the charla, and we came and taught Lesson 1 (Restoration), and he was HOOKED! He was asking how apostles become prophets and who seventies were and it was super awesome! We are going to commit him this week to be baptized for sure! And there are many others who are grandchildren or close neighbors of certain members, that the members are going to help us start teaching. The field is white for sure!

Yesterday we had a multi-district meeting in the which we heard the valientes' final testimonies and prepared them pizza and cinnamon cake! Super fun for sure! I had the opportunity to conduct a few baptismal interviews, and one was with the most intelligent 9-year-old I think I may have ever met! She certainly surprised me!  And she was VERY prepared for baptism.

I hope you guys have a great week! I'll be telling you more about my new comp next week! ¡Les quiero a todos!

Con mucho amor,
Élder Newman :)

Mom, quick question: I have heard that North Korea and Russia declared war on the USA. Is that true?
Haha but what a crazy dream! Let's hope I don't get shin splints or any health problem for sure! Haha, I'm pretty sure many people will be shocked about me going to BYU. Love you tons!

Bear! Some fun facts about Uruguay:

  • Some of their main foods are: fideos con tuco (noodles and meat sauce); milanesa (a big chicken patty, or they sometimes use beef under the crust); mate (a powdered herb that you drink with hot water); asado (a huge barbeque cooked over firewood coals and with different parts of the cow and pig); alfajors (you already know), etc.
  • It is even smaller than Utah and has a smaller population with under 3 million people (Utah has 3.1 million). And around 2 million of those inhabitants are located in the city and department of Montevideo, the capital.

Glad to hear that you got cleared to play! Haha sometimes you have those rough games, but you'll bounce back. Good luck at the State Cup!  Love you!

Callie! How fun that you got to have lunch all week with Mom! And I am super excited to baptize you for sure! And see your tablet games. Shae is super awesome, isn't she? Lizards, huh? Reminds me of when I held a huge boa constrictor (giant snake) on my shoulders. Really fun! Love you, Callie!

Emma, glad you had fun at Prom-dances are memorable experiences. Glad you were able to mosh nonetheless. And congrats on DanceCo! Hope you have a fantastic week! ¡Te amo!

15 years straight of the Salt Lake Marathon. Quite the impressive feat! Congrats, Pops.  Lots of love.

Mom’s Questions:
1. What have you heard about transfers? Are you staying or going? Keeping the same companion or getting a new one? 

Staying, and receiving another Chilean from Elder Rodriguez's group! His name is Elder Chandía. Elder Rodríguez is going to one of my old areas, El Pinar!

2. How did you serve your companion, district or ward members this week? 

We pruned a tree for Hermana Gomez, made cake and pizza for the valientes in our district and another one, and other small stuff in between.

3. Did you get your new debit card yet?? 

It has arrived in the mission, but they haven't gotten it to me yet; as a matter of fact, I think they lost track of it. We'll see what happens.

4. We had empanadas again this week. What was your favorite thing you ate this week? 

Perhaps napolitan milanesas yesterday. A giant chicken patty covered in mozzarella cheese and ham. Mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment