Monday, December 4, 2017

Light the World; Una Montaña Rusa; e Mestre do Inglês

 Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl (Montevideo Mission Office Elders and Montevideo West Mission Office Elders)
 Thanksgiving Feast
 Pres. Eddy and his family with the Office Elders
 Montevideo and Montevideo West Office Elders
 #lighttheworld

Helloo everyone! My, it's been a while! (Well, it's only been a week and a half, but after that long, you sure are ready for P Day.) This past week and a half was kind of a roller coaster (hence Montaña Rusa {Roller coaster}) because immediately after Thanksgiving, I got really sick. To the point that I could hardly talk, I almost couldn't walk, I was constantly blowing my nose and never cleared up my sinuses, fever, etc. We worked very little between Thursday and Sunday because of that, and it was super frustrating to not be able to do much, but I for sure learned patience due to that experience, and I was able to see that I wasn't so bad off thanks to Diego.

Diego was a complete surprise for us; he is the son of a less active mother and showed up halfway during sacrament meeting. He has cancer, and had already received a blessing of health from the Bishop; we gave him a blessing of guidance and comfort. Then the very next day we taught him L1 and he was very receptive and made perfect comments, filling in the gaps for us. We invited him to be baptized the 16/12/17 and he IMMEDIATELY accepted! The fastest I've ever seen anyone accept baptism! We were overjoyed for sure! We also visited him yesterday and taught L2; once again excellent on his part. We're going to have to move his date because 1) he's starting chemotherapy today and will not be at church tomorrow, and 2) he needs to get married. But he has the desire for sure; he asked us straight up, "What do I need to do to be baptized?" Super excited for him!

We have started teaching Adriana, the mother of Virginia Añón, and have gotten through the first 3 lessons. She also is very perceptive and inspired just like her daughter. In the first charla that Elders Bazaes and Christensen (intercambio) had with her, she had declined baptism because she didn't feel ready. However, in our last charla with her, after a spiritually charged L2, we invited her again, and she responded "I will," with all the confidence in the world. Virginia was shocked for sure!

Light the World campaign has officially started! Yesterday we did a really cool service activity as a zone: we cleaned up the beach in Carrasco and did this super fun balloon Make-A-Wish activity! Super fun to see the bright effect Christmas has in people's lives!

Random fun fact: after I scored a TD in the Turkey Bowl last week, Pres. Eddy asked me if I had played rugby before. I said no, and he said, "Shoot, I just lied to President Olson." I then told Pres. Olsen (from the West mission) that I wasn't, in fact, a rugby player, and he said that I should sign up after the mish.

We have also started English classes this week and they are turning out really well; had a turnout of around 10 people this first time! Can't wait to see how that rolls forward.

Love you all; thank you for your constant, unfailing support. See y'all next week!

Élder Newman :)
Mom, no kidding, that was a LOONG time w/o communication! Glad to see you survived Sin City and even enjoyed the visit. I saw the Thanksgiving pics and that is once again a grand gathering in the Newman home! Laughing at the sister missionary pic from the airport. You sure are a wonderful missionary mom at all times.

Dad, ¡Viva Vegas! Nice tool chest you're sportin there! Love the Christmas lights as well. Haha the legendary 3-2 defense! Virtually unstoppable! Love you Pap, and good luck with the Bear's games!

Bear, thank goodness for people like that one sweetheart who will stand up and are a light to the world. What a great friend she must be. Can't wait to see you dominate in Bantam and futsal! Love ya!

Callie, did you know that steak is literally my favorite? And I hope you enjoy the scones because scones are DELECTABLE!  I hope you have a great bday party and have a sweet experience singing for the people at the rest home! And I hope you're being good so that Santa can give you what you want! I love you!

Emmr! I smile when you say that you wish that you had my faith someday, because you have always been an example to me of faith, charity, and hope. Way to tackle chemistry! All of my chem knowledge went away a long time ago. Dance and choir are soo cool because instead of showing what you've accomplished behind doors, on a piece of paper, and quietly, you can express yourself and what you've learned and accomplished and receive immediate feedback! Truly awesome. ¡Continuá haciendo cosas buenazas! Sos un ejemplo para mi y siempre lo has sido. ¡Te quiero! (Keep doing good things! You are an example for me and you always have been. I love you!)

Mom’s Questions:
1. What are some of the service activities you have planned for #lighttheworld?

Yesterday we cleaned the beach in Carrasco as a zone, and as a district, we have plans to clean up beaches and parks, and sing in parks as well.
2. How are the Virginias doing? Are you going to be able to teach their families?

They are facing some trials but still pushing strong. Vodanovich is starting with her treatment for cancer and Añón is kind of down about negative situations with family and some members of the ward.
3. Do you have any new investigators?

Just Diego so far, but we have been constantly searching this past week, and I feel that we are getting close to seeing even more miracles unfold this week. :)
4. What is something you are looking forward to this week?

Friday, we will get to lunch at the Oro conference, and then we are going to participate in the ward Christmas night that day; supposedly our musical number in that one sacrament meeting was so good and liked that they want us to perform again! :) (BTW, I have the video of our rehearsal for that one number that we took Saturday night during Correlation.
5. Is it easier to teach during the Christmas season or harder?

Well, we didn't teach a ton of people last year either way and it was hard to find news, but I am positive that it will be easier because during the Christmas season, people feel more love for their families and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment