Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Slowly yet Surely; Curando el Matecito; e Não Empuxar O Bolo Pela Garganta

Elder Newman, Elder Sousa (son) and Elder Harris (grandson)

Curando el Matecito


Hello my peoples! Super good to be talking with you all this week. We are definitely being stretched here in Malvin, but no doubt that I've seen the hand of the Lord working in our lives and in our area. Also, some cool surprises on Wednesday, while I was going to begin paperwork for my Uruguayan ID: I finally got to meet my grandson Elder Harris! (Elder Souza had also come for his cédula, or ID) I also met an Hermana from my Grandma Jessop's stake back home, so that was super cool too!

This week, not gonna lie, was rather tough. We were diligent and were constantly on the hunt for new people to teach, but until yesterday, had found nobody, and good contacts were very few. Lots of slammed doors and quick rejections. However, we were able to contact the reference of a contact right away! She's (also) Virginia, in about her 30's, and she speaks English and is SUPER interested in getting closer to God. We invited her, as well as Santiago and Lucía, to Malvín C's (or, the secretaries') baptism for today! Santiago is the son of Pedro, a 2-year convert; Lucía is his girlfriend. He had taken the lessons with the hermanas before, and they accepted to read Mosiah 2:41! Excited to see where they go! We weren't able to have a charla this week with Virginia and Gerardo because she's been wiped out from her cancer treatment on Wednesday, but her friend told us that they are still super interested in continuing to learn, and so now is their 10 year old son! Slowly but surely, we're getting it going!

Não Empuxar O Bolo Pela Garganta (Do Not Push The Cake Through The Throat): In multi-zone conference this week with President Eddy, we talked about properly using the most effective missionary tool available, the Book of Mormon. He showed an example in HIS mission president, President Jarman, who instead of reading a bunch of verses and then trying to explain it all, read super slowly, phrases at a time with frequent pauses and many questions, experiences, personal testimony, etc. It took him 15 minutes to get through 1 Nephi 1:1-2, 4-5, but the experience they had and the Spirit they felt was amazing; it was a much more interactive and fruitful experience than the usual way to share scripture, at least at the beginning of teaching. It made me think: as I had learned from Elder José A. Teixera, the Book of Mormon is like a delectable cake; but I realized that if we try to shove the cake down one's throat, they are not going to enjoy it, contemplate it, or comprehend it very much. We must, as President Jarman did, hold out a piece and let them take a bite, contemplate it, experience the joy, and slowly eat more and more. Super inspiring, and I am excited to apply it here in Malvin!

Been thinking a lot about Elder Hales since he passed; truly a humble, Christlike man. The world will surely miss this great witness of Christ. Upon listening to his words time and time again, I can testify that he was a true Apostle, a special witness of Christ, and I know that whoever fills his place will be qualified by the Lord for the work.

Love you all! ¡Vamo arriba!

Elder Newman :)

Hey Pap, sorry to hear about the sinus infection; being sick is certainly no fun. And super cool flag ceremony even though we got smoked by the one team I would never want to be smoked by. Oh well. Hope you get better soon! Love you Pops.

Back yard's coming back!  Training for new positions; looks like we're in the same boat! It's so true as well; we need to prepare ourselves to return to our Savior's and to God's presence, or we will feel uncomfortable, as the scriptures say. I've actually studied that recently; look up Isaiah 6:1, 3, 5; and Alma 36:19-22. Love you Mom!

BEAR! Sorry for the losses; it definitely is frustrating after a long streak of success. I feel you completely. Just keep going and don't get discouraged, and things will start to go back uphill. Glad you enjoyed the drill clinic! Love ya!

CALLERIST! Man, it sure is fun to do performances/games/work with friends! I have some of my best friends in the mission here in the offices with me. Make sure to send me lots of photos! I love you!

Emmerist! Worth the wait! I can't wait to see the dance and how you girls do! Hahaha Newman's laugh just went through my mind and I laughed as well; miss that guy! ¡Te quiero, hermana!

Mom’s Questions:

1. Did you get your birthday package yet?

YUP! I had Elder Bazaes peek inside to get out my black suit pants (I haven't looked in yet). Thanks!

2. What are you learning from the other office elders? Are you working your tail off?

I'm learning to be patient with myself as I learn my duties, and all the sorts of organization I have to do. We are definitely working very hard here; there's always tons to do!

3. What does your house look like? Maybe take a picture or two (inside and outside)

I actually recorded some videos, so you'll get the whole tour!

4. Do you cook as much as in your other areas or are you fed by the members more? What different foods have you eaten lately?

It is a mix of members feeding us, us cooking, and President feeding us in the many conferences that happen in Carrasco. I've eaten chicken with stir fry, stroganoff, chicken with these noodle/potato thingys, etc. (I think he is talking about gnocchi.)

5. What is your ward like? How many people attend? Is Pres. Eddy’s family in your ward?

It is the stake center and a big ward, I've heard. I wouldn't know how many because I've only been to GC on the Sunday here, but Elder Bazaes says about 100. And the Eddy family attends in Carrasco, not Malvin.

6. Are you adjusting to office work followed by proselyting in the evenings?

Yes. It sure was a big change, but I'm getting used to it now! Also weird getting used to Saturday P-Days, but also a fun and manageable change!

No comments:

Post a Comment