Monday, October 16, 2017

Hot Pursuit; ¡Uruguayo Soy!; e Que Mundo Puequeno no Qual Vivemos!

 MTC group Reunion (Elder Holland, Manzaneras, Newman)

 Elder Newman and Elder Manzaneras
 Elder Newman and his previous companion Elder Estouco (who is now an AP)

 Peruvian restaurant



Hey peoples! So good to be talking with you all this beautiful, bright Saturday! By way of news: Uruguay beat Bolivia, so we now know who the greater Newman is (haha love you Christian!) And in the offices, as well as the field, this has been an eventful, great week!

¡Uruguayo Soy!: Originally people had called me a "Gringo Trucho" (fake white guy) because I hate peanut butter, love mate, love carbonated water, tonic water, and have cooked my own asado more than once; basically, that I was more Uruguayan than American. However, this week, I got my Cédula Uruguaya (Uruguayan ID) AND my libreta uruguaya de conducir (Uruguayan driver's license)! I am now a true Uruguayan! All that remains is to take Elder Wankier's (senior couple missionary who is just the best) mini driving test, and I will be on the roads! Exciting and scary at the same time, because the Uruguayan drivers here are crazy, and there are basically no rules that are followed. Don't worry Mom, I'll be super careful! As celebration for the cédula (Elder Estouco went with me so he could begin the paperwork), all us office Elders went out to eat at Sabor Peruano, a Peruvian restaurant in Ciudad Vieja (Old Town) in Montevideo, in the other mission, where we go a lot for office work. Pictures included, but it was AMAZING! Their seafood (and steak) is top notch! I tried squid and octopus and was enchanted!

Hot Pursuit: This morning, we had to go to the offices to pull out some mission cash so that Elder Mecham could go and take a medical driving exam, which is a requisite before going to la Intendencia (Town Hall) in order to homologar (convert) our USA drivers' licences easily and quickly to Uruguayan ones (I did that this week). We decided to run to the offices, me in proselyting clothes, Elder Bazaes in P-Day clothes because he had little time to dress. Long story short: he crossed the street before me because he darted out in front of a semi truck and I didn't dare; thus, I started running to catch up and he ran way out in front. During my "Hot Pursuit," my pen and Missionary Roster fell out, and as I turned around to pick them up, I saw a man in sports clothes behind me stop running and say quickly, "¿Estás bien? ¿Te ayudo?" (You're good? I help you?) Apparently, he thought that Elder Bazaes was a juvenile who had robbed me (due to our difference of clothes), and he had started running to help me catch him! #CAPO

Que Mundo Pequeno no Qual Vivemos! (What a small world we live in!): Yesterday night, we had the privilege of dining and sharing a scriptural thought with the saintly old Martinez couple, where I had a surreal experience. When I said that I was from Pleasant Grove, they said, "Oh! We know that place! We served with a President Driggs in the temple here at one point, and we've been there before!" Driggs sounded super familiar, so I named off the twins from a grade up, Ian and Stephanie, that I had known, and they said, "That's them!" Small world!

This week was absolutely amazing with Virginia and Gerardo, the Soto Vodanovic family, for we had two charlas and their son, Germán, started to listen! We taught the Plan of Salvation with this really neat kids-version, 20-minute video there is on Chanal Mormón, and that night they all three easily accepted the baptismal date for the 4th of November! In the next charla, we felt inspired to bring a missionary who was going home early with us to participate, and he did super well and I feel that it was a great experience for him. When we got there yesterday, Virginia said that she was ready and 100% excited for the 4th, and Gerardo and Germán said that although they wish to wait a little longer to get baptized, they will continue listening and applying the message as if nothing had changed; we had a delightful charla on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and their great questions were answered and our testimonies brought tears to Virginia's eyes. I just KNOW that they will all make it to baptism, perhaps all 3 (or even 4 with Victoria) before I leave in 6 months! But, of course, all in accordance with the will of the Lord.

Little bummed because we weren't able to establish contact and have a charla with Santiango and Lucía or the other Virginia this past week, but we will keep trying!

FUN FACT: We had a little MTC group reunion when Elder Holland came into the office on Wednesday. So great to see him again! (first foto)

Love you all, and I'll be hitting you again with the detes this coming Saturday!

Con amor,
Élder Newman :)

Hey Mom, can't wait to see the new lawn! And the pics of the sunset and the canyon are truly spectacular! Thanks for sending them my way! Tell C-Mill hi for me! Love you tons!

Callie! This week was super fun, because I went into Old Town and ate Peruvian food! Peru is another country down here in South America on the west coast; it's right on the border of Bolivia,  where Christian is! The food was super yummy! Haha "kisses" - that's a super cute trick your friend’s dog does. Love you sooo much!

Emma, ¡Hudl será muy beneficioso para ti! Me encantaba de vardad... Jaja no te preocupes, la escuela pasa muy rápidamente. ¡Fuah! (Hudl will be very beneficial to you! I loved vardad ... Haha do not worry, school happens very quickly.  Fuah!) 14 hours of Drill in a day! Glad the drill display case turned out well!  ¿Me enviás una foto? ¡Te quiero muchísimo! (Send me a picture? I love you a lot!)

BEAR! I don't quite remember the Kiss Cam story from Mr. Manning, what was it like? Real Salt Lake? How fun! And way to be a beast and go solo with the sod-laying! Newman Pride! Super glad to hear how sports are going; it sure is great to be active and healthy. Love you Bear!

Pap, yup, the office environment is pretty similar all around. Love you Pops.


Mom’s Questions:
1. Elder Manzaneras’ mom told me that he was excited to have you join him in the office so that he would have someone to run with since his companion doesn’t like to run. Have you gone for any runs together? Also, do you ever sing together since he loves music too?

We have been once and plan now to go twice a week. And pretty much anytime we're in the house, it's not a case of if, but when we will break out in spontaneous harmony. It's pretty great, and he's SUPER talented!

2. Do you have any new investigators? How is the work?

Germán, son of Gerardo and Virginia! It's still tough to find people who will listen to us; the city is definitely of a colder disposition than the frontier and suburbs. But those who do listen are completely open (black or white), so we are continuing strong!

3. Are you adjusting to your new proselyting schedule?

Now I'm getting the hang of it.

4. What goals do you have for yourself for the next little bit?

I'm trying to: 1) be completely positive and personal in contacts no matter what, 2) get back into cooking, and 3) do a singing contact at some point! Elder Bazaes sings pretty well too and can actually sing harmony, so that's been super great!
5. Did the black pants I sent to you work for you with the jacket you acquired, and do they fit? :)

Yes and yes! Thanks a ton!





No comments:

Post a Comment