Monday, June 11, 2018

Dogs are Crazy in Las Piedras; "Nunca Sentí Eso Antes;" e o Retorno de Alfajores Fritos






Hey fam bam! Kind of a crazy week, and I will try to sum it all up quick, but first things first, some news about Cambios. I will be staying in Las Piedras with Elder Chandía for my final change in the mission. Kind of saw that coming, and I'm super glad too, because we got work to do here.  And my grandson, Elder Harris, is training this change, so I'm gonna be a great-grandpa and see my great-grandson before I go home!  The rest you will see in the sneak peak videos of how changes normally go down here. You're welcome.

A super high-low week for sure. We didn't get much time to work because Elder Chandía was sick a few days this week. I lost my journal in Malvín the day of the Holland conference.  (But the Financers found it!)  A gigantic dog almost hopped a fence and almost bit me in the face doing night contacts. My head accidentally collided with an electrical box as we were walking.  Debora and Erwin came to church! We had one of the most spiritual fast and testimony meetings I've been a part of in my entire mission! Counsel in Elder's quorum was that spiritual as well as the president had us silently put our chairs in a circle as a hymn was being played from his laptop, and the Spirit was so strong. Our new Ward Mission Leader taught a fantastic Missionary Work Gospel Essentials Class and challenged the Elders' Quorum to think of referrals to give us! #CAAAPO A mushroom grew on our bathroom door.

The biggest miracle was probably experienced this Saturday in a charla with the Mendez Gomez family. Part of Elder Holland's apostolic blessing said that the Uruguayan people would feel something special just by meeting us. As we taught the Restoration, something special happened with them. The mom, Carmen, had received many missionaries before and loved receiving us but wasn't ever interested in going to church or anything even though two of her daughters that no longer live with her are members (less active). But as we taught the Restoration, the youngest daughter, 13-year-old Alexandra, was making super inspried comments and just getting it, and as I bore my testimony, Carmen stopped us and siad, "You know, I noticed how you got emotional when you said that to us. You truly feel that what you're teaching is the truth. This has never happened with any of the other missionaries we've met with. I've never felt this before." Wow. Such a powerful moment to see that part of the blessing start to be fulfilled.

We had a very inspiring and spiritual district meeting in which we discussed what we felt in the Elder Holland Conference and set goals to change ourselves and the mission. One of my goals is to be bolder in my finding and teaching, and to search for the descarriados (people who have gone astray), those who perhaps might not look like candidates. 

My good buddy Elder Estouco is going home this week, and to commemorate, we introduced Elders Chandía and Cook to something that Elder Estouco taught me in Chuy a long time ago. Fried alfajors. Yup, they're back, and better than ever.  Good times.

Coming into the last change. 6 weeks left to give it all I got to the Lord! Love you all, have a fantastic week of summer while we turn into iscicles. (Yep, it's rainy and super cold). ¡Les quiero a todos!

Con amor,
Élder Newman :)

Bear, that must be super tough to be overlooked like that in tryouts, but I am super proud of your maturity and positivity through it all, especially how you took it to the Lord to know what to do. :) That is a fantastic habit that will serve you very well for the rest of your life. And congrats on making the Bantam team! Enjoy Lake Powell! Love you!

Callerist! I do not know Mrs. Herman, I'm guessing she's new. But she looks super nice! Wow! That bubble gum is longer than I am tall! :O I hope you enjoy 2nd grade! I love you! :)

Pap! Look at that, a member of the quorum of the 70 that's into waterskiing! That'll be you someday. Hope to enjoy church in Page when I get back, and what a cool story by that man! We also had a man that's been coming back to church who had his baby blessed and then bore his testimony. Super powerful! What a great helper Sarah is!

Quite some fun with the girls, Mom.  I joked with a member this week that I had no idea how you were able to feed Christian and I with all we ate. Must be super tranquilo so far. One change left! Love you!

Salt Lake tours are always fun! Haha oh my, how crazy y'all are with trucks and chairs.  ¡Te amo, Emma!



 Mom’s Questions:

1. How did the visit with Elder Holland affect the way you want to serve your mission for your last transfer? 

Gave me a lot more enthusiasm for sure, and it helped me understand even better the sacred nature of my call. :)

2. Do you have any new goals for this last transfer of your mission? 

Be exactly and cheerfully obedient, be bolder in finding and teaching, and search for the outcasts to teach.

3. How are your investigators doing? How is Cinthia? 

Cinthia is struggling right now. She didn't come to church because she was wiped out from work the previous night. (Yep, it's that one job we hoped she wouldn't take) We're going to keep working with her to help her overcome that. But she's kept her cigarette level low. And everyone else is good!

4. How much did it cost to get your package out of customs? Have you had any other packages get held up in customs? 

Around U$S15.00.  Nope, that was the only one out of all you sent me that got held up. W

No comments:

Post a Comment