Monday, May 8, 2017

Tie Probs, The Restored and Continuing Word of God, and The Final Countdown!

 Lunch!
 Elder Newman's Favorite Drink

FHE

¡Opa, mi querida gente! ¡Fue una semana increíble, y esta semana, ¡viene mi primer bautismo de mi misión! Honestamente, no puedo expresar ni mi ánimo para Jueves ni mi gratitud a mi Padre Celestial y a mi Hermano Mayor Jesucristo por todo que han hecho para mí y mi compañero. ¡Vamo arriba! (Translation: Opa, my dear people! It was an incredible week, and this week, my first baptism comes from my mission! Honestly, I can not express my encouragement for Thursday or my gratitude to my Heavenly Father and to my Big Brother Jesus Christ for everything they have done for me and my companion. Let's go upward!)

Callie, I don't like corn dogs, or hot dogs anymore, but I LOVE bacon! And I don’t know, peanut butter just never tasted good to me. And I LOVE puppies, gatitos (little cats), and little animals in general! I'm rather soft and easy to please on the inside. My house is little and a bit old, but very comfortable! And yes, we have a pariyero (par-ee-sheh-ro), which is a little brick house where you make asados (Uruguayan barbeque). Love you Callie!

Game-winner! Nice, way to go! I will tell E' Souza about your soccer game, don't worry. And he is VERY strong! He weighs 100 kg (220 lbs.) of almost-all muscle, and he did martial arts in-between high school and the mish (he finished high school at age 16, WAYY early). Love you Bear! See you Sunday!

¡Hola Emma! ¡Las cosas andan muy bien aca en El Pinar! (Translation: Things are going great here in El Pinar!) And HEY! You got your aerial! I remember watching you attack it and attack it and get frustrated because it was so darn difficult. But in the gospel or in sports, never giving up is CRITICAL. And now you can do an aerial, and now I have finally gotten to the week of a baptism without an investigator falling through at the last minute. Diego looks like a genuinely good kid; glad you scored big with your Prom date. Haha, allergies and sicknesses are no fun; I had to give Elder Souza a blessing yesterday. He's from a place where the coldest it gets is 20°C (around 75°F) and the cold was KILLING him, and his teeth were hurting. Today he's much better. I will tell him thank you for the letter. Love you Em!

Bro, anytime; glad you enjoyed all the Spanish stuff I sent you, especially the ring.  And let me tell you, that sweet Spirit is so strong in the field; I'm stoked you were able to feel it in Seminary. I thought I recognized Ethan in the photos from Prom and was about to ask how that happened! Make sure to tell Ethan that Elder Newman says #DINGERS! (and hi). And just like that, your last Prom! Who ended up taking Prom King and Queen? (My bet is Ethan Conlee and Brielle Fowler). Glad y'all enjoyed the Paso and the alfajors; I truly was addicted to those darn things for so long. Actually, I'm still addicted to Paso... You'll see in the photos... Anyway! Love you Christian, and we'll talk more this Sunday!

Mom, Sunday at 5:10 your time, and let's stick to Google Hangouts. It worked perfectly last time and if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. And the grandparents may come again, yes please! BTW, I finally learned how much better it is to wash dishes in the moment rather than wait until a huge pile stacks up. (I actually learned it early on in the mish, but just remembered now). Use this as ammunition. But it really is SO much easier. I'm glad you enjoyed the visit from Claudia Acosta and all the treats; putting a little Uruguay in the home. Love you tons, and see you Sunday!

Pap, it is so weird to know that y'all will be down at Powell w/o me; my first year not going! But oh well, I'm sure you all will have a blast anyways. Haha, you sure do need to practice your Spanish so that the Newman boys can sling down some mad Spanish in the future years.  Love you so much, and I just might put your Spanish to the test this Sunday; study up!

Final Countdown: Solange is going to be baptized this Thursday at 6:30 PM here (3:30 PM back in the Grove) and she has been absolutely gold since she received her answer! Not only is she completely ready to follow the commandments, she understands the why of each one and is excited to keep them and start a new life; her smile and the light in her eyes are monumentally different from when we started charlas with her. Today we have our final lesson, Wednesday the baptismal interview, and on Sunday she will be confirmed a member of la Iglesia de Jesucristo de Los Santos de Los Últimos Días y ¡recibirá el Espíritu Santo! Crazy to see how an answer concerning and testimony of the Book of Mormon changes everything in your life.

Tie Probs: We were heading to a menos activo and were about to cross the Ruta Interbalanería when a friendly young man in his 20's came up to us and asked us a very interesting favor: teach him how to tie a tie for his upcoming wedding! It made me think back to the time when I could not tie a tie to save my life; Mom, Dad, and even Christian would do it for me. But as Phil Collins once said, "In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn."

The Restored and Continuing Word of God: We were in a visit with a wise old member this week, and we had an amazing conversation about the Word of God. I feel so blessed to not have to trust in just a Bible that has been subjected to the hands and changes of man, but to have the Bible correctly translated by Joseph Smith by the power of God, the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, AND the words of modern-day and living prophets. I testify that the windows of heaven are open, that God speaks lovingly to his children today, and that His written and spoken word has not ceased and will never cease. Please, set aside fixed time to enjoy the Word of God in your life; perhaps you'll find yourself like me, when the time passes by WAY too quickly reading the scriptures. And it is possible to get to that point, for I was not always like that.

I love you all soo much y ¡espero que tengan un feliz día de las madres este domingo! ¡Os quiero muchísimo a todos! ¡Vamo arriba! (Translation: And I hope you have a Happy Mother’s Day this Sunday! I love you all very much! Let's go upward!)

Con amor,
Elder Newman :)

Mom’s Questions:
1. How is Solange doing? Amaros family?

Solange is going to be baptized this Thursday! I'll make sure to tell you all about it in the Google Hangouts call this Sunday. :) :) And the Amaro's are progressing very well, making more member friends. Nicol and Damian came to church again! And Darío said that in 2 weeks, he´ll have all his teeth replaced and be ready to attend.

2. Do you have any nuevos? 

We found an 80+ year old señora named Rosa who lost her husband years ago, along with her (I think boyfriend) Ricardo, who is a long-time inactive. Also, Santiago got us another reference, his 13 year old friend named Manuel, who now has a BoM! Santi's father still didn't bring them to church, so we're trying to find something that will help them out.

3. Would you like me to also send you some long, cold weather garments for the winter in 
Uruguay? I’m sure it’s starting to cool off a bit now. Is it also rainy? 

That would be nice! I actually already bought 2 long bottoms for winter, but don't have any long tops.

4. How is the walking going? The sister visiting Utah said that El Pinar is a pretty large area and 
that the buses are pretty expensive so you two just walk everywhere. 

Her name is Claudia, and the walking is alright. Haha poor Elder Souza was SUFFERING in the first couple weeks, but he got used to it.

5. How many pushups are you up to? Do you ever challenge Elder Souza to a pushup competition? 

Up to 105! And I have not thus far...

No comments:

Post a Comment