Tuesday, January 3, 2017

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!, Double Charlie Horse, y A Ride da Patrolha de Borda do Chui

 Lunch with Yaco and his family (prize winning pizza)




Chuy District
 Bus Ride to Montevideo
 ¡Feliz Año Nuevo!




 Chuy Elders
Elder Newman with the Eddy Family

*In Jackson’s voice recordings this week, he gave us some updates on their investigators. The thing that is the most frustrating for them as missionaries is to have such great lessons and have people that will commit to a baptismal date, but can’t or don’t make it to church on Sunday so they can’t be baptized yet. (Some have health issues or have to work on Sunday.) 

¡Hola mi querida familia y queridos amigos! ¡FELIZ AÑO NUEVO! ¡Ojalá que tengáis un año mágico y que cumpláis con todas vuestras resoluciones! ¡Estoy muy animado para 2017! (Translation: Hello my dear family and dear friends! HAPPY NEW YEAR! May you have a magical year and to comply with all your resolutions! I'm very excited for 2017!)

Christian, crazy how the time flies! 6 months left until you leave on your mission! That time is going to fly, so make sure to enjoy the time you have left. You are already doing that with your service and example to others; way to be a great older brother in the priesthood to Cory. You are absolutely right; it is very easy to zone out sometimes in the sacrament with many people. May we always invite and have that Spirit with us like when with 3 or 4 people. Dude, I am honestly very impressed with your dunks; you are getting some SERIOUS air! And the OOP! I seriously just showed this to Elder Estouco and he was awestruck! Beast! Way to keep up on your schoolwork as well! You could do what I didn`t my senior year and get all A`s! Tell Ethan that Elder Newman says "Dingers!" and "Much love." Great kid. Love you buddy, and see you in six!

Emma! Happy New Year to you as well! ¡Feliz Año Nuevo! I would love to see your ugly sweater that gave Mom such fits. No worries about the test, I remember my first test I took in Calculus, I got a 64% (69.5% with corrections). D-. I was extremely shocked and discouraged. That happens sometimes, but you can ace everything else from hereon after! So glad to hear about your Dance adventures and all the fun and hard work y'all are having. Talking with all of you was amazing for me as well! Enjoy your new phone! I love you!

Bear! Way to go again with the domination in futsal! Seems like it is a really high-scoring, fast-paced game in comparison with soccer. Great job with your testimony; every time we bear it, it gets stronger. Have fun with Eli and Ridge, you are soo lucky! Good luck with your tournament in Mesquite! I loved being able to travel to Mesquite for tournaments; great atmosphere for sports! Love you!

Callerist! I am so sorry you were sick this week; that makes two of us! But at least you didn`t throw up! I did and it is no fun at all. Sleepovers at Grandma`s are the best; I loved the ones I had. Fried ice cream!? I have never heard of that before! Sounds amazing! For New Year`s I spent some time at the beach with Waldir, and then I watched the fireworks at midnight! I love you, Callie!

Mom, thank you for that story about the temple; makes me remember my own endowment! And it also makes me anxious to go again! Here in Uruguay we have two Temple Conferences a year, and they had one right before I got here, so I have been waiting for a very long time! But I`m sure I will appreciate it even more because of this. Never take your blessings for granted. Cam got called to Puerto Rico? WOW! So cool; tell him congrats from me!

Pap, the language is coming along very well; it is very interesting to speak 98% Spanish all day! (The other Elders are learning English) Just recently an hermano asked me to offer a prayer in English, and I STRUGGLED! I`m guessing that is a good sign. Would love some pics of you and Bart shooting! Tell him that one of his former Blue Nasties says hi and sends his love.

We spent New Year`s Eve in the Barra at the house of Iara with her and Waldir, as well as Iara`s daughter Luticia and her friend Julia. We helped move some stuff in their house, played Scum (during which I got a Charlie Horse in each calf at the same time) and played at the beach. Then Waldir snagged us a ride with the Border Patrol because the taxis were not working for New Year`s. So cool to ride in a military car with patrol lights on at high speed and talk with capos en Portuguese!

Out of time, but I love you all! ¡Feliz Año Nuevo! ¡Ciao! (Translation: Happy New Year! Ciao!)

Elder Newman
Mom’s Questions:
1. Did the call on Christmas make you homesick at all? Some missionaries say it’s the best to talk to their families and some say it makes it really hard to focus on their missionary work.

Not really! It was SOOO refreshing to be able to talk with you all and I didn`t take a big hit afterwards. Just what I needed 

2. What did you spend your Christmas money on? 

My presents for Elder Estouco, a Brasil jersey, and Christmas Decorations

3. What did you do for New Year’s Eve? Any interesting traditions in Uruguay?  

We spent part of the afternoon in the Barra with Waldir and Iara; we helped clean (I think it´s) Iara`s house and then we went to the beach and played cards and all that with them, Iara`s daughter Luticia, and her friend Julia; really fun! Great people. In our home later, we sat outside with our sofas and popped sparking cider bottles again at midnight. Great day!

5. What resolutions or goals are you making for 2017? 

I have them prepared in my voice recording, but one is to cook at least one new meal/dessert each giro (turn)!

6. What’s the date of the next transfer? 

I think it`s January 18th

No comments:

Post a Comment