Wednesday, September 14, 2016

¡Uruguay, aquí venemos!

Hey, hey, hey everybody! I am now less than 6 hours away from taking off and heading for Uruguay! The real work is about to begin! I still feel like I´ve got tons to learn, but also like I´ve come so far! AND GO UTES!!!

On this past Friday, we had an In-Field Orientation: meetings in the same building from 8:30 to 5:00 (8.5 hours) which was a STRUGGLE! However I learned so many helpful things for the field, so it was all worth it. Funny story: in one meeting we were learning about the value of setting goals, and the teacher asked "3 strong Elders" to come up. Then she asked us to set a goal of how many lagartijas (pushups) we could do in 30 seconds. The other two Elder´s jokingly set goals in the single-digits, and I put 50 to the shock of mi maestra. The other two ended up doing above 30, and I hit 50 on the dot. It pays to set tough but inspired goals! It´s so crazy to think that many of my friends in my zone and even district are already in the fields today or on their way! Time truly flies!

Packing has been truly stressful for one particular reason: your carry-on on my airliner has to be 17 lbs. There has to be next to nothing in there. Elder Adams had to bail me out and pack some of my stuff in his luggage because I was to the limit in two suitcases and 5 lbs. over in the other. However, we made it all work, so all is well!

Some cool spiritual thoughts from this week: just as a married woman takes upon herself the last name of her husband, becomes a "Johnson," (so to speak) and integrates her will into his, so we, when we are baptized, take upon ourselves the name of Christ, become Christians, and mold our will to His. Also, when you find it hard to organize and handle the many priorities of life, read 3 Nephi 13:33 and trust that in the Lord, all will work out. If we ever feel that we have a glaring weakness we can´t overcome, read Ether 12:27 and trust in His power. And when we feel the weight of sorrow, affliction, and any trial seeming to crush us with its darkness, turn to D&C 121:7-10. Herein lies a most sweet promise for all those who are afflicted.

Yesterday, we had a live broadcast from the Provo MTC and listened to Elder M. Russell Ballard speak to us. He spoke of how we as missionaries stand in for the Lord Himself, and how we need to have an all-consuming enthusiasm for our missions and forget ourselves. He also said something pretty funny that also praised our generation and the preparation we have: "Knowing what I know now, I wish I was your age and could do it again; I´d be dynamite!" xD

Well, the real deal begins! I am soo excited (and a teeny bit nervous) for this next step in my mission! Thank you all for your prayers and your love, I have truly felt them very dearly to the heart.


Elder Newman

Morning teacher Hermano Tapia!
Afternoon teacher Hermano Hernandez!​
 Mis maestroes
 View of the CCM


 District 14C
 Zone 14
 This odd statue is part of a gym just outside of the CCM en México. Someday, I will return and use this gym xD​
 Elder Gabe Summers from Westlake! Former enemy football captains, and now fellow servants in the Lord! He will do great things with Elder Ben Anderson in Dallas!​

No comments:

Post a Comment